Three Boys and a Girl

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Exploring carbonation

Yesterday Jonathan got a small can of soda and a cookie from school, and he immediately decided to give Seth a full half of his cookie, and some of his soda. I'm so impressed with his generosity. It was so funny while they were drinking it, because you would've thought it was whiskey by watching their expressions after a swig. They describe that carbonation burn as being "spicey," or "ficey" for Seth. After a drink Seth said with an excited smile, "It's pwetty ficey!" And Jonathan knowingly responded, "That's because it's hibernated." I put in, "Carbonated," which he repeated to Seth.

He commented later that, being so spicey, there must be a lot of "carbonate" in it, which I realized makes sense in a way --- the same way that something that is salted has salt in it. Take off the "ed" and you have the ingredient. Same with peppered, seasoned, buttered, battered, etc. Should work with carbonated too, right? I love the way a child experiments with the language.

4 Comments:

  • At 11/03/2007 8:22 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11/03/2007 8:25 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    A bit of a revealing comment here, but just now, as I was googling definitions for carbonation - to find out the difference between carbonate and carbonation - I found out something that I have never once known in all my almost 28 years of life on the planet. Beer and wine are carbonated. I had zero clue about that. It comes as a complete surprise. I should've known it from seeing them fizz when they are opened or shaken, but I never once realized that they would have that burn/tingle/sparkle/carbonated feel when you drink them, just like soda. I always thought it had the same feel as juice. And I always wondered how anyone could stomach a fermented flavor, but I guess carbonation would help in making any flavor more palatable. Crazy. The things the whole world probably knows and you just figure it out one idle Saturday at the age of 27. You can all feel free to laugh at me because of my naivete. I certainly am. :)

     
  • At 11/03/2007 9:04 PM , Blogger sstar said...

    Am I the only one who was reading this post and HAD to say "pwetty ficey" out loud? Some things are just better if you experience them for yourself.
    Great story - once again smiling. :)

     
  • At 11/05/2007 8:13 AM , Blogger Mary said...

    Spoken from a true linguistics graduate.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home