Three Boys and a Girl

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Right of Passage

Jonathan told me when he got home from school today that at lunch recess he got "huddle-trust." He told me that that means he was allowed into the huddle of a club that a few of his friends have, and is now a part of the huddle when they are making plans and deciding on imaginary story lines to play. He shone when he told me about it, happy and proud and bashful almost. I love it - Getting a glimpse into what's important on the playground to a 6 year-old, and that they even have a specific name for being initiated. Brings me back to what it feels like to be young and out at recess, learning how the social world works and seeing how you fit in it all. It may be silly, but I'm glad he's accepted by his friends at school, and that he feels like he's part of the group. How cool to get huddle trust, and to be in a club.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/06/2009 6:05 PM , Blogger The Martinsen Family said...

    That is cool. I remember those days when there was nothing to do other than go to school and play at recess. It would be good to go back for a day and then I would remember all of the things that I was not able to do at that age. Congrats on the girl by the way. They are so much fun.

     
  • At 3/07/2009 3:37 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    That is so classic. What a great age of imagination and friendship. If I had a huddle trust, you'd be in for sure :)

     
  • At 3/08/2009 6:24 PM , Blogger Deanna said...

    That is a great story! Good for Jonathan.
    I would for sure want him in my club. (If I had a club.) What's not to love about Jonathan?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home