Three Boys and a Girl

Monday, June 11, 2007

Heaven will have pastries. I know it.

Tonight after our FHE lesson we went with the boys to a Pananderia close by that was mmm mmm good. I should go there every single day. I envy those of you who served Latin missions. Not to mention Rob with the French pastry shops. Let's just say that international pastries are divine. I was positively drawn into every bakery that I passed in Japan too. (The word for bread in Japanese is even "pan" borrowed from Spanish (and French). Man, good stuff.

Tonight our pastries included the flaky layered kind with cream inside (amazing amazing amazing) a lot like mille feuille but closed on the outside, some cream filled churros, a blueberry muffin that Jonathan chose, a flaky triangle pocket with a strawberry filling that was so tasty and the perfect amount of sweetness (much less than American pastries), a huge super good (my favorite of them all) croissant shapped roll with a subtle touch of cinnamon maybe and sprinkled with sugar, and a sphere of goodness that had a light smear of raspberry on the inside and coconut on the outside of a shortcake-ish soft-ball sized ball.

If you're standing in front of a glass case with a tray and tongs in your hands, you know life is good.

Any other favorite kinds we should try? We have a fabulous authentic French Pastry shop here too. They even brought over their ovens from France.

We took our bag of goodies to a soccer field and kicked around a ball with the boys. Jonathan kept going back to for refills while we played. Okay so he wasn't the only one.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2007 7:35 AM , Blogger Mary said...

    My personal favorite is the tres leches cake. And if you went to a panaderia, I'm sure they have it. It's a Mexican "three milks" cake I think with whipping cream, sweetened condensed and whole milk or coconut milk. I had the real stuff when I went to Mexico, and it was to die for! (I also had real churros in Mexico, and I have to say that those were not as tasty as the ones in the states...and ten times as greasy too!)

     
  • At 6/13/2007 8:12 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    John's all about that tres leches cake. He's had it before and said it was to die for. I saw it there, so I'll have to try it next time. :)

     
  • At 6/13/2007 8:22 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Yeah, I think I like the American churros better than the ones at this panaderia too. Maybe because we're uncultured with no sence of pure culinary goodness. Who knows. :)

     
  • At 6/14/2007 10:03 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    Yes, heaven will have their pastries, made of the "finest ingredients".

    It's so fun to try new pastries. I always like to try pastries made at local markets or cafes, especially if there made of better ingredients than I'd find elsewhere. As far as "international" goes, I can think of some great places in BC that have so many pastries to try. It takes me forever to pick just one. Good thing there are four of you so you can sample each others and get a couple extra too. That's the way to go!

    Adam said the DR's pastries weren't so good. If they were made with milk, it was usually the boxed kind of milk...stuff that has a long shelf life. Still, he liked the bread a lot.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home