Three Boys and a Girl

Thursday, May 17, 2007

How American is your state?

Here's an NPR story that I thought was interesting. . . They looked at 21 demographic factors — from race, age, income and education to immigration and the percentage of residents living in urban and rural areas, and found which states most closely matched the national averages.

So Adam and Kari are living in the epitome of American-ness. And I was impressed that Utah is number 14, even before states like New York and California. I didn't think Utah would be on anyone's top 15 list for most normal states. . . but there you have it.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/17/2007 10:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Poor West Virginia... kind of hard for me to believe that Hawaii is #25 and Alaska #35 for some reason. Nevada is #33. Guess I'm just not as American as Hawaii.

     
  • At 5/19/2007 8:23 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    I followed your link to the AP site

    http://www.npr.org/news/specials/2007/05/average_state/ap_index.html

    and thought this was interesting.

    Oregon most closely matched the national average in the “Hometown” category–the national average was 79% of the population living in urban areas, 21% in rural areas.

    Utah was the most atypical for "Age" because of its large youth population.

    Something I didn’t know about the national average for education: More than 84% of adults graduated high school, about 27% have a bachelor's degree, and about 10% have an advanced degree. I actually would have thought a higher percentage had bachelor’s degrees. Then again, when I look at it as being a little over 1 in 4, it doesn’t seem as surprising.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home