Three Boys and a Girl

Saturday, March 31, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


I love General Conference! This is honestly one of my favorite times of the whole year. Nothing beats being here with my family and watching it together in the peace of our home.

I printed up a bunch of LDS clip art and made coloring books for the boys to work on as they heard the different gospel topics in thier books. Mostly, just for a fun, related thing to work quietly on. I also had some brand new (to them) library books that they love to read. (And I have a few more things up my sleeve for later sessions. Never pull out all the surprises in the first two hours. . .) Jonathan and Seth do an awesome job.

Did anyone else notice that the sustaining and church reports have always been during the second session in the past and today they were in the first session? I like the change. It seems only appropriate to sustain at the beginning of the meeting. And also I noticed that this is only the second time in the past 6 years that President Hinckley hasn't given the first talk or comments of the conference. The other time was April 2006. I wonder if it's just random, or if he'll only speak first in October conferences now.

I loved Elder Holland's talk about being careful about the way we speak to each other. Talk the way Heavenly Father does - not in the fire or the wind, but in a still, small, kind voice. So applicable. Every part of his talk was so awesome. And it wasn't even a "gospel prinicple" talk, (faith, repentance, temples etc) it was just a way we can be happier and have better relationships. I guess that's really what all gospel principles are for though, now that I think about it. :)

Favorite quote of the day (from Elder Holland): "No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse." :)

Happy General Conference Weekend!

7 Comments:

  • At 3/31/2007 6:29 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Oh, maybe they did the sustaining in the first session just this time to leave more time for the dedication etc in the second session in the Tabernacle. Who knows. It really brought us back to see Conference in the Tabernacle again. Lots of good memories.

     
  • At 3/31/2007 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I liked the one quote, "Hit me again - I can still hear you." That's great. Not even sure who it was by.

     
  • At 4/01/2007 1:10 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    That one was Elder Holland too. So hilarious. :)

     
  • At 4/02/2007 3:02 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    I liked the change too, but I agree that it was just for the dedication of the Tabernacle. I'd keep doing it that way, though. It's Adam's favorite part--he gets so excited about it--I'm glad he didn't miss it!

    Elder Holland also said, "Our words, like our deeds, should be filled with hope, love, and charity." Listening to the leaders like Elder Holland, I'm impressed with how much knowledge they've acquired. I thought of the scripture in D&C 88:78-79, about teaching each other and being instructed in theory, principle, doctrine, of things both in heaven and in the earth.
    Motivates me to learn more TRUTH from scripture as well as seeking it among the best books and experts on various subjects.

     
  • At 4/03/2007 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought I’d mention I like the sustaining part of conference so much because of the statistical report that comes with it every April. I love seeing how the church grows. Considering the trend over the last few years, I bet church membership next year will be over 13 million.

    To add to Kari, I think D&C 88:78 can have an additional meaning. It says, "Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, etc..." The scripture could also mean that as we teach diligently, God's grace will attend us and WE (meaning the teacher) will be instructed more perfectly in theory, principle, etc... I find when I diligently prepare something to teach, it is me that benefits most.

     
  • At 4/04/2007 2:48 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    I like the sustaining too, just because I like the opportunity to say that I believe in the prophet.

    And I couldn't agree with you more Adam about the meaning of that scripture. I've always felt the same thing. I think that it's a big parenting scripture too. I don't think I ever learned as much (of the truly important things) as I have since I've been a parent (the hugest teaching position.)

     
  • At 4/04/2007 9:31 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    In the 2 ½ years that I’ve tried to be a good parent, my understanding has expanded significantly. I wonder what I will know 3 years from now that I do not know today?

    Maybe I’ll know what Christine now knows . . . : )

    I’ve learned that trying to find answers through books (“Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning even by study and also by faith”), and other sources (family members, etc) is good. But, I’ve also come to realize that when I have a certain puzzle I’m trying to solve, I can just open up my scriptures, pray, ponder, and meditate until a solution comes to my mind.

    Do you remember, Christine, when we were talking about our kid’s sleeping problems and you said something like “Pretty much all you can do is read the scriptures and pray really hard”? That was the best advice we got and we’ll use it over and over and over.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home