Three Boys and a Girl

Monday, February 19, 2007

Funny story

(This actually happened in March of 06, but today I read it in my journal and laughed, so I decided to share it.)

The boys and I went grocery shopping, and one of the things on the list was a small handheld mirror. It was one of the first things we put in the cart (where Jonathan was sitting) and by the time we got to the register it had been used as a hammer by Jonathan for far too long and had broken. So we bought it anyway and went back to get another one. This one was immediately seized by Seth who followed directly in his brother's footsteps and hammered this mirror to pieces as well. I was so frustrated I even said "dang it!" which Jonathan repeated and asked what it meant. So we got a third one, which I carried safely in my back pocket till we got to the cash register and it miraculously made it home in one piece. I was glad that I had picked the $0.96 mirror instead of the $5 mirror to buy three times, but I still ended up paying $3 for a $1 mirror. Moral of the story: Bored, energetic, curious boys don't do well with mirrors while you are busy and distracted.

4 Comments:

  • At 2/20/2007 9:47 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    Taking the kids to the grocery store is hard work for a mom. Is your mirror still in one piece?

    Taking our kids into the grocery store is like walking around with a time bomb in the cart that at any moment could go off!

     
  • At 2/20/2007 10:18 PM , Blogger sstar said...

    Perfect.
    Life lesson learned, eh?
    Bored energetic and curious sounds about right for Wal-Mart. And shockingly familiar. Except, usually we manage to add in these other great adjectives: tired hungry cranky clostrophobic...
    No matter how we prepare and when we go, shopping just isn't for 4 people, ranging ages 6 months to 25. Who knew. Our moms always did it. ... No answers from this momma.

     
  • At 2/20/2007 10:32 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Hahahaha! Those are great descriptions to add. Why is it that even if you plan to go shopping first thing in the morning and be back in plenty of time for lunch and naps, that it ends up being pushed to at least an hour AFTER lunch or naps needed to happen?

    There just isn't room for two (or three) kids and a load of food in one cart - unless you don't mind mushed bread and bananas and broken mirrors. (Mine is still intact!) Tonight I just got back from going by myself, which is a whole different experience.

    One thing I've learned NOT to do is to let your little boys go to the store wearing superman capes. It seemed harmless at the time, but what is a little boy supposed to do in a superman cape?? Run. Like crazy. While yelling and swerving and getting as far away from mom as possible. I'm sure it would've been endearing in any other setting. :) At least they had fun, and the other shoppers had a little entertainment. :)

     
  • At 2/21/2007 11:38 AM , Blogger Mary said...

    I just can't wait to have kids.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home