Three Boys and a Girl

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A little bit of trauma for my Tuesday afternoon

For those of you with those #10 food storage cans, beware the metal lids. They're monsters.

I had one in my garbage, and then was throwing some other things away and just pushed the top of the garbage down as I put some more on top. I immediately found out that that was a very bad idea. I had literally pushed my finger hard into the "blade" of the can lid, and gave myself about an inch long, half inch deep cut across and down the side of the pad of my middle finger. I won't go into the blood or the trauma of the moments afterward, but suffice it to say that while I was holding pressure on it and doing a pretty decent job staying calm, Jonathan did an awesome job at dialing john's work for me (John left work that second and was home in less than three minutes,) and Jonathan also dialed Joanna's house so I could ask her to take the boys for a while. He was an awesome help. He was pretty worried for me, and even told Joanna that after John and I left for the Urgent Care. Poor guy. It was an intense moment for him.

So an hour later I had four stitches and a big purple "club" of gauze surrounding my finger. (Typing is a feat in itself.) I'm the crazy kind of person who has to watch the stitching, and it was pretty interesting. The worst part was the four shots of anesthetic all around the tip of my finger. But then it felt wonderful, so it was worth it.

My angel mom came over while we were gone and did all my dishes, and Joanna and Micah watched the boys and fed them dinner. My Dad was there too and even fed Seth bite by bite in fun ways to help him finish. And then, as if that wasn't enough, Joey and Micah brought us a gourmet shrimp and artichoke orzo pasta dinner that was heavenly. John said, "If you ever wonder if people love you, just look at how many people completely dropped their day to run over to help." I really have an amazing, supportive family. I know any of you would've done the same if you were near too.

The good thing is that I had just barely finished making two banana cream pies and put them in the fridge to cool. I'm glad I didn't have to leave in the middle of pudding cooling and setting. "Of all the insignificant concerns. . ." I know, but I'm glad about it anyway. :) And it's a nice treat to come home to. I figure it's one way to get out of doing dishes for the next week. . . There's probably a less expensive way though. I oughta think about that more next time. :)

8 Comments:

  • At 6/20/2007 12:11 PM , Blogger Carrie and Tanner said...

    I think pictures during this whole ordeal would make this entry all the more interesting. Maybe next time you can have Jonathan snap a shot before calling John.

    I hope your finger gets better. It hurts just to read about it!

     
  • At 6/20/2007 12:22 PM , Blogger sstar said...

    Hey - Google the lyrics for the country song "Find out who your friends are" Just like John said. Of course that's going to leave me out cause I didn't even KNOW until all the friend-proving moments were over. :) back to proving it the hard way. ;)

    I hope it heals faster than you ever thought possible.

     
  • At 6/20/2007 1:53 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Whatever Esther. You missed the part where i said "I know any of you would've done the same if you were close." Mom and dad happened to be at Joey's when it happened. I already know you're my friend anyway. :)

     
  • At 6/20/2007 6:20 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Carrie - I was pretty sure anyone reading this would have seen raw, somewhat ground. sliced meat before, so I deleted all the pictures I had Jonathan take of my finger before we rushed off to the Urgent Care. But if you were hoping for more depth and excitement from this post, I can probably come up with something more descriptive for ya. :)

     
  • At 6/21/2007 10:11 AM , Blogger Kari said...

    Wow! Funny how one day can turn out:)

    So when do the stiches come out? Will we be able to sign your cast when you come up?

     
  • At 6/21/2007 10:51 AM , Blogger Christine said...

    stitches come out next tuesday. Sorry, no cast. :) I figure 27 years without having an accident requiring stitches is pretty good right?

     
  • At 6/22/2007 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just reading about it makes my skin crawl! But, good job both of you! You and jonathan both

     
  • At 6/28/2007 8:39 AM , Blogger Leah said...

    You are the 3rd person I know that has had a major finger accident in the last 3 weeks. The other two were on a deli meat slicer and a table saw. I'm wearing protective titanium gloves from now on. Be ye warned, it's an epidemic!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home