Three Boys and a Girl

Monday, July 14, 2008

Little boy blue


Luke hasn't been eating or sleeping really well for a while now, and he's started looking really thin to us, so at John's prompting I took Luke in to the doctor today. And he's lost 1 lb 3 oz since his last appointment 3 weeks ago! That was alarming, both to me and our pediatrician. That's almost 10% of his weight, and he's supposed to be gaining 2 or 3 ounces every day, certainly not losing weight. He said Luke seems perfectly healthy otherwise, which is good, he just needs to be getting more.

He suggested supplementing with formula (which is unusual for him since he's a very strong advocate of breast feeding, as am I) and also starting him on rice cereal. John had suggested supplementing yesterday, and I've been wanting to start food for him to help him get more, but didn't want to start too early.

So today after the doctor appointment I came home and tried to nurse him but he didn't want any, and then I offered the formula, and he guzzled it. I was using the 2 oz pre-mixed sample bottles, and he drank it down fast and steady. I thought, "wow, he was hungry." And then it occurred to me that he might drink more, so I offered a second bottle, which he drank just as quickly, and then a 3rd and then a 4th. Eight ounces without even stopping for a second. The poor boy was starving. And it was a beautiful thing to see him finish and lay back, content, and actually full, for probably the first time in a long time. I'm so happy to let him eat all he needs! It's a little bittersweet in a way though too, that I couldn't give him what he needs, but I'm so happy that he's getting it now. For whatever reason my milk supply is low, and he's not getting enough when he sucks, so he pulls away. I've never been a fan of formula (quite the opposite actually) but when using it means your baby won't be losing weight anymore, it's heaven sent.

The plan now is to mix formula and breast milk for all his feedings (at least for the next week) so we can double his calories and see if he can gain some weight back. John gave him a blessing this evening that he'll be able to react well to the changes, and that his system can accept the new things we're adding to his diet. I really hope he can do well. He's an awesome little boy. His favorite thing lately is to reach out and touch your face. It melts us all. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 7/15/2008 7:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    absolutely darling precious boy! He is lucky to have very conscientious parents who take such good care of him: looking first to his needs no matter what, even if it means making changes that you didn't want to make. Good luck in the coming days...We love you all tons!! Mom A.

     
  • At 7/15/2008 8:36 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

    I ached when my milk began petering out with my Daniel earlier than he or I would have liked. By that time, he was eight or nine months, so we could do a lot of food supplementing, but it felt awful to not be able to easily provide what I felt was "my part of the plan."

    I did all kinds of things to bring the milk back, even taking so much fenigreek that I was a walking olfactory commercial for maple syrup, but to no long term benefit.

    I remember once Mom Bushman saying that a lady in the town homes that you all lived in -- Amy? -- for some reason didn't have enough milk for her fourth baby, although she had been fine for the others. She was despairing over the lack that she was sure the baby would face without breast milk.

    He husband gently, but firmly reminded her, "Honey, that is what the Atonement was for."

    She looked at him, bewildered, and shook her head, thinking he was grasping at straws.

    "No," he said, "it's true. The Atonement of Christ makes up for all of the lack that comes from living in this imperfect world."

    That really stuck with me and brought me great comfort when years later Daniel would suck and suck and not swallow enough to get what his body needed. I could trust that Christ could make up for the lack, and we could find less appealing (at least to me) ways to help him...and it would not traumatize Daniel's purpose in life. May sound trite, but it really helped.

    I sure love you! May our Father continue to bless you and yours, dear sister.

     
  • At 7/16/2008 8:54 AM , Blogger Trishelle said...

    He is such a sweetie! When they are just angels and don't complain, it can take awhile for us to know that something is off.

    My milk has dried up for all of my babies but with each child I am able to nurse a little longer than the others. It can be such an emotional thing.

    You are such an amazing mom! You are so in tune with your boys so he will get to where he was and then some in no time at all.

     
  • At 7/31/2008 1:23 PM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    Thanks for posting this. Our youngest boys are 4 days apart. Lately I've been wondering if he's been getting enough to eat. Now I have some new ideas to look into.

    Cheers.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home