Three Boys and a Girl

Friday, August 29, 2008

Fun tidbit about Seth


He has a real interest in how things are put together. He takes things apart as often as he can, like pens, flashlights, and anything else that he can disasemble, and then puts it back together over and over. And often he'll find a cool part that he decides to keep as one of his very Special Things, and it never makes it back where it came from. He chooses the greatest little random parts of things to carry around with him for days, and he brings them to bed with him too, (where he also wears his shoes every night.) He would love to be able to collect little shards of glass too, if he could only get the okay from that overprotective mom. He loves little parts of machines, and seeing how they fit together. We replaced the faucet in the back yard and gave him the old one. You'd think it was Christmas with the light in his eyes. I wonder what this will turn into as he grows older.

It's always funny and cute to us to see the little odds and ends that he deems special and important. He's got an eye for finding little parts of gadgets around too. He'll spot a crushed whatever on the ground in parking lot, instantly discern the cool parts, and ask me if he can keep it. And when you look at it, you have to agree that it really is cool looking, and different from the other stuff you see everyday around the house. (Reminds me of Wall-e's collection of cool stuff - you know we all subconsciously like most of that stuff he saved.)

We find little piles of things around the house that Seth has collected - rocks, parts of anything mechanical (like parts of a spare doorknob, or a printer cartridge, the inside of a toy car,) a small allen wrench, a car or two, bouncy balls, a little hour glass, more rocks, sticks, flashlight parts, faucet parts, pieces of brick, batteries, the claw from a broken tractor, shiny pennies, anything metal. . .

You know when you come across a Seth pile. It says his name all over it. I love it. He's a cool little man.

6 Comments:

  • At 8/31/2008 1:20 PM , Blogger Trishelle said...

    He IS a cool little man. He reminds me of a treasure hunter in training.

    I can see it now, Seth, the seeker of mysterious treasure, creeping quietly in the depths of the Amazon Jungle. He inches closer and closer to the Golden City of Lost Thinga-Ma-Bobs....

    Years later, he will be known throughout for his ability to solve people's missing spare parts dilemmas with his collection of priceless pieces.

    In all seriousness, he is a really great kid. That picture is so cute...it almost shows the wheels turning in that brilliant little mind of his.

     
  • At 8/31/2008 8:03 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

    Makes me want to start a collection of odds-n-ends to wrap up as a gift for him when I see him next.

    Or to just have one cool spare item in my pocket...

     
  • At 8/31/2008 11:12 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    We want to do something like that for his birthday - parts of things he can put together or just treasure. I wish I could find that awesome nuts and bolts toy that we had growing up - you know the one with the two crates and the bars that you could screw together to make carts and stuff? I loved that, but I don't know if anyone still makes it. If anyone has any other ideas of cool toys like that, I'd love to know.

     
  • At 9/04/2008 11:46 AM , Blogger Serena Laird said...

    Hey! I found your blog! Your boys are so cute, they are at such a fun age right now. I love how talkative they are and how everything is so exciting to them!

     
  • At 9/08/2008 7:45 AM , Blogger Kari said...

    Yeah, I wonder too what this will turn into has he grows older. What a cool kid. I love hearing about the different things my nephews are into at the Anderson home.

     
  • At 9/10/2008 8:34 AM , Blogger sstar said...

    That's the funniest cutest thing ever. I love it. Dangerous maybe - but seriously cute. Has he ever confiscated any important pieces?

    I love Sarah's idea. It's so Sarah. There's no one quite like her. I'd like a little more of that wide reaching interest in loving all children. Anna adores her.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home